This blog covers the day to day progress of water rocket development by the Air Command Water Rockets team. It is also a facility for people to provide feedback and ask questions.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

L1ght Shadow - High Power Water/Pyro Rocket

We have finished building our new rocket called L1ght Shadow that is able to fly on both 38mm H and I motors or Compressed air and water. Here is a couple of videos that show its construction. We intend to use this rocket to get our L1 certification if it works. :)

The full build log is also available here:

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Windy Launch at Mullaley

On a recent trip to NSWRA's HPR launch site at Mullaley the conditions were less than favourable, and so we didn't get to launch our big Polaron G2 rocket. In the 30km/h+ wind conditions I don't thing it would have even been possible to make it stand vertically. So here is a highlights video from the rest of the day. 

Although a little dissapointed, we were still happy to catch up with club members and watch some of their rockets launch. We'll be back at the launch site in September for another try. (Hopefully also with a new rocket project we've been working on ;) )

Thursday, June 02, 2016

How to measure the altitude of your rocket

Earlier this year we looked at 4 different techniques for measuring the altitude of a water rocket. We used all 4 techniques on the same flight so we could compare them for their accuracy. We repeated the experiment 3 times just to make sure. Here is a highlights video that looks at the results as well as the reasons for their differences.

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Fog and Long Camera Boom

We're continuing to catch up on the launch reports from the last couple of months.

On June 14th when we arrived at the launch site there was still some fog so we quickly launched a rocket to see if we could get above it.

We also flew a long boom on the rocket to see if we could get a shot of the entire rocket side on.

Here is a highlights video from the day:

The full flight day report is available here:

Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Looking At Measurement Errors

We've been quite busy over the last 3 months, though we have had time to build and launch rockets, just not write about them. I am now finally catching up on the launch reports.

Here is the first one from back in March. We looked at the variability in measurements, as its important to understand their magnitude when doing various performance comparisons.

The full report is available here:

Monday, April 06, 2015

Dark Shadow flies to 1752 feet (534m)

Dark Shadow is our latest water rocket project. Construction on this project began in June last year, and we had a chance to fly it 3 times at the recent Thunda Down Under event in Westmar QLD.
The rocket was designed to try to set a new personal best altitude record. We progressively increased the pressure on subsequent flights to finally achieve an altitude of 1752' or 534m.
Here is a highlights video of the 3 flights:

 The full flight report is here:

I have also uploaded the build log that has full details about the rocket's construction here:

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Polaron G2 - Phase 2 Flights

Fast forwarding a few months ....

Two weeks ago we had the opportunity to fly our full size Polaron G2 rocket with boosters at Australian Rocketry's Thunda Down Under international launch event in Westmar QLD.

We were glad to finally get this rocket in the air after several years of development. It didn't take several years to build, we just procrastinate a lot.

We flew the rocket successfully a couple of times, and are looking to now move on to Phase 3, - adding a 2nd stage to the main stage. We are likely to fly this rocket again in the current configuration though in calmer conditions as the two recent flights were affected by strong wind and didn't go as vertically as we would have liked. There may have also been a small stability issue close to booster burn out due to the large amount of water still in the bottom of the main stage that used a very small nozzle. This rocket had been designed for a long burn rather than altitude. It had a predicted burn time of around 10 seconds. We didn't quite achieve that but at ~8 seconds it was still fun to watch.


We've posted a video of the flights here:

And the full G2 launch report with photos (day 157) is available here: