Over the last few months we have been slowly working on a new staging mechanism. On Sunday we spent some time completing it and running through some initial trials. We test fired it 3 times, at 60psi, 100psi and 120psi. We did the tests just in the back yard with only bottles connected rather than real rockets. We were pretty happy with the performance after a few adjustments.
Next we are going to build a very small second stage (~600mL), and a small booster - likely to be just a spliced pair of bottles. We want it fairly small so that it does not leave the local park. We want to see how it will go in flight before it is put on a bigger rocket with a bigger booster. This staging mechanism will eventually go on the Acceleron rocket, but could be used for a third stage on the Polaron rocket as well.
A full write-up with diagrams of the internal operation will be posted on our main site once we have done the test flights and had a chance to evaluate its performance. Weighing in at 94 grams it is a bit on the heavy side for small rockets, but for bigger rockets it won't make much difference. Acceleron's V's staging pod weighed in at over 400 grams, but also included the parachute bay.